Notifications & Resources
In accordance with Education Law Section 2-d, the Marcus Whitman Central School District hereby sets forth the following Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security, which is applicable to all students and their parents/legal guardians.
1. A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released by the District or BOCES for any commercial or marketing purposes;
2. In accordance with FERPA, Section 2-d and Board of Education Policy 7242 Student Records: Data Privacy, parents have the right to inspect, review and/or receive a copy of the complete contents of their child’s education record, including any student data stored or maintained by the District or BOCES.
3. The District will disclose personally identifiable information from student records, without parental consent, to other school officials within the District whom the District has determined to have a legitimate educational interest (see 5b below).
4. The District, at its discretion, releases directory information without prior consent, unless the parent/guardian or eligible student has exercised their right to prohibit release of the information without prior written consent.
5. State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of a student's personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including, but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred. The District has the following safeguards in place:
a. All databases that have student information are protected by a secure password and login. These logins are monitored and kept up to date;
b. Student information is only accessible by those that are deemed warranted of having the information.
6. The New York State Education Department collects a number of student data elements for authorized uses. A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review from the State Education Department at this NYSED website. Or parents may obtain a copy of this list by writing to:
Office of Information & Reporting Services
New York State Education Department
Room 863 EBA
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
7. Parents have the right to submit complaints about possible breaches of student data or teacher or principal APPR data. Any such complaint must be submitted, in writing to:
Jeramy Clingerman, Superintendent
Marcus Whitman Central School District
4100 Baldwin Road
Rushville, NY 14544
Hotlines / Líneas de Ayuda
- Report Child Abuse & Neglect /
Abuso y Negligencia de Niños y Jóvenes
- Abandoned Infant / Infante Abandonado
- Domestic Violence / Violencia Doméstica
- Justice Center HOTLINE/Centro de Justicia: